2013 Sea Otter Classic.

Any topic you want. Put your suit on and enjoy the bubbles. Just don't make your own!

Moderators: JAlvey, bnd

bnd
Information Minister

2013 Sea Otter Classic.

Postby bnd » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:17 pm

I would imagine all the usual suspects will be there. If anybody gets any news worthy info flowed to them over the next 4 days, please share (Rope 8) ).

Alot of new product will be unveiled too.

b.
“Sometimes if you want to see a change for the better, you have to take things into your own hands.”

Rope
Schwinn

Re: 2013 Sea Otter Classic.

Postby Rope » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:16 am

LOL, BND

Unfortunately I can find out more from Internet because Mitch is so busy I really don't speak to him much til he comes home after the fact. This I do know on VitalMTB there is a video of the release of the new Specialized Enduro SX and Mitch is narrating it and it shows him riding it on the DS course at Sea Otter a couple of weeks ago. I would assume he likes it because of the way he riding it and can't wait for Saturday when they run the DS. Then in the video for DH practice today it appears he riding the Specialized Stumpjumper EVO 29er that he won Fontana on.

Cody is down there also however I haven't heard anything yet.

Will post when I know more.

Rope

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:57 am

I was wondering if he would run that 29er. That course is made for that bike. If he places top 5 it's going to cause quite the dust up on the Internet.

b.
“Sometimes if you want to see a change for the better, you have to take things into your own hands.”

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:45 am

One of the coolest things Iv'e seen so far from S.O.
A 16"-20" bike for the little guys & gals. 3" inches of travel!

b.

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:31 pm

4x quals.

Finals today.

b.

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:20 pm

Dual Slalom results.................courtesy of Vitalmtb.

Sunshine and dry conditions greeted the pro Dual Slalom racers for the 2013 Sea Otter Classic. 2nd fastest qualifier, Jared Graves of Yeti Factory racing made his way into the final round by taking down all comers and took the victory with flawless racing. Jared and the Yeti Factory riders were on SB-66 bikes with a custom link that took the bikes down to 4-inches of travel.

World Cup downhill legend, Steve Peat of the Santa Cruz Syndicate, was Jared's competition in that final race. Steve Peat was racing on a Santa Cruz Bronson with 27.5-inch wheels. During qualifying, reports indicated that Peaty (and Minnaar, who was also on a Bronson) didn't seem to have that snap out of the corners that the 26-inch wheeled riders had. Looks aside, Peaty took the Bronson all the way to the finals.

Jared Graves is no stranger to the Sea Otter gravity podium with a Dual Slalom win in 2011 backed up by a Downhill win that same year. Graves plans to back up his results on Sunday in the DH race.

New Zealand rider, Cam Cole (Yeti Factory Racing) took third place uncontested. His opponent in the *small final* was supposed to be Mitch Ropelato (Specialized Gravity), but Mitch never made it to the gate for racing. Some reports are saying Mitch had heat stroke, while others are reporting he hit his groin area, leaving him nauseous.

Kyle Strait (GT Bicycles), the 2012 Dual Slalom winner qualified in 3rd place, but couldn't keep the momentum and was bested in the round of 16.

In the women's event, Jill Kintner (Norco) squared off against Rachel Atherton (GT Factory Racing). Both women looked fast and in control, but Jill was fastest over the two finals runs.

Stay tuned for photos coming soon on Vital MTB.

2013 Sea Otter Classic Pro Women's Dual Slalom Results
1.Jill Kintner
2.Rachel Atherton
3.Anneke Beerten
4.Luana Oliveira

2013 Sea Otter Classic Pro Men's Dual Slalom Results

1.Jared Graves
2.Steve Peat
3.Cam Cole
4.Mitch Ropelato

BUMMER!! but I'm stoked for Mitch. DH tomorrow.

b.

Rope
Schwinn

Postby Rope » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:36 pm

I understand Mitch is good, from what I understand is he beat Danny Hart (1st round), Kyle Strait (2nd round), Troy Brosnan (3rd round) and was neck-to-neck with Jared Graves in the first heat towards the bottom of the course when he had to back off because he got dizzy and was checked out by medics at the course. I haven't talked to Mitch so this is all hear say but they decided not to continue to race for today. Hopefully better day tomorrow, as far as Cody Kelley he crashed Friday night hurting his shoulder so he's not racing DS or DH.

Rope

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:55 pm

BTW, did anybody else from Utah go? Forestas?

b.

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:45 pm

Mens DH results.
Gwin did it on a 29er.

b.

joeynsophia
Intense

Postby joeynsophia » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:42 am

BND.....No we didnt go. School is almost out and the schedule is going to start getting full quick. Looks like Shawn Yackovich did really well out there getting a double win in DH and DS. Great job Shawn!

Here are the next 2 races that we and a lot of the other locals will be doing in the next few months.

May 10th, 11th, and 12th. Ranchstyle Dual Slalom race. Grand Junction, Co.
May 24th-27th Sundance DH, Sundance Utah

Anyone who is interested in checking out the gravity MTB scene should try these out. Really fun races and great times. If you have any questions, I would be happy to answer or go see the Lake Town Bicycles guys for more info.

Return to “UtahBMX Hot Tub”