Memorial Day weekend events.

Any topic you want. Put your suit on and enjoy the bubbles. Just don't make your own!

Moderators: JAlvey, bnd

bnd
Information Minister

Memorial Day weekend events.

Postby bnd » Sat May 25, 2013 8:54 pm

There are 3 events going on this weekend that involves some bmxers.

- USABMX National in New Mexico. Quite a few locals went down for this. Race reports please!

- Utah Downhill/ MTB Series.
This is in Sundance this weekend, again, reports please.

- Intermountain Cup Series #5, Corner Canyon.
Monday is the Stan Crane XC race. Danita & I are racing. Maybe a few others too. Kris Park has been racing XC lately. I'll have a write up after the event Monday.

Any & all info is appreciated.

b.
“Sometimes if you want to see a change for the better, you have to take things into your own hands.”

LocoTone
GT

Re: Memorial Day weekend events.

Postby LocoTone » Sun May 26, 2013 12:00 am

Sundance SuperD: too much practice = spent legs on the timed run.

Long, fast, mostly single track course with many technical sections, short climbs, and a few fire road descents. Overall, I'd say it was the perfect mix of riding, and traction conditions to make for an intense day of riding and racing.

Jason Hawkins with a 1st in 30-39 cat. 2 by .46 seconds. Congrats to him.
Doug Cheney with a 6th in 40-49 cat. 2
Yours truly with a 5th in 40-49 cat. 2
Joey Foresta raced, I didn't get his finish.
I think I recognized a few others, but I'm terrible with names.

Many other BMX'ers in attendance, including Monster Mike and Cody Kelly, Jason Wiggins, Stephen Anderson, the Olsen family, and of course the Forestas.

The event sold out, as did the upcoming DH race on Monday. It seems the big bikes are quite popular these days.

I'm looking forward to hearing how the DH races go, while I'm at home, comatose in an ice bath. :shock:

Vid
http://youtu.be/4txxW7s9nPM

Jackie
GT

Postby Jackie » Mon May 27, 2013 7:29 am

Great video but some dude was heavy breathing the whole time kind of creepy
Follow the fanny pack to the finish

JAlvey
GT

Postby JAlvey » Mon May 27, 2013 4:41 pm

There were BMX nationals in Ontario and in Albuquerque this weekend. The Utah contingent in Abq was about 30-40 riders strong and did real well, at least a couple dozen in the mains and a number of wins. Catch the action live at HWClive.com or on a bmx website.

LocoTone wrote:The event sold out, as did the upcoming DH race on Monday. It seems the big bikes are quite popular these days.

They cap the race at 100 riders. 10 years ago, your age group would have had over a 100 riders, about 1300 for the whole race.

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Mon May 27, 2013 8:23 pm

30-40 riders? That's awesome!
If I could look at a "bmx website" for a race report I would but V is dead in the water imo nowadays. That's why I count on our locals to chime in on what's going on with our travelers. D did show me a pic of Barton with some severe road rash. Thanks Justin.

Stan Crane Memorial XC Race in Corner Canyon today. ICup Race #5.
- D raced & just wasn't feeling it for some reason. Her race was 11.5 miles & in staging there was a near riot (not kidding) with her class, 40+ women's class giving the promoter a rash of sh*t for not including the Rush Trail in their laps. It got very testy to say the least. She ended up 5th or 6th but said she was hating it from the start for some reason. Some days are like that.

- Mike Oblad won his Clydesdale class.

- This was my 1st race in the Sport class. I knew it was going to be a big jump & it was. 17 miles, very fast pace from go, 27 riders, I got 20th which I'm good with. I was expecting midpack. After looking at final times, If I could of shaved 5 minutes off my time I would of been in the top 15. 5 minutes is a lot so I have to work harder over the next month to make it happen & I will. BTW, I passed 6 riders down Rush, 8) Thanks BMX!

b.
“Sometimes if you want to see a change for the better, you have to take things into your own hands.”

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Mon May 27, 2013 8:39 pm

After posting my last take, I wandered over to the USABMX website, jeez Justin, feel free to toot your own horn after results like that! Holy crap, congrats to the Alveys. Ethans 1st national win? & it looked like you almost bagged one yourself. Looks like Stout, Alex Clift & Dallas are riding really good too.

b.

JAlvey
GT

Postby JAlvey » Mon May 27, 2013 9:23 pm

Thanks Bruce. That was Ethan's 7th national win, but the first in 2-3 years since going through 3 back to back broken collar bones. I think sunday was our family's first time to have us in all 6 mains at the same time. Alex Clift and Danny Patterson also both had wins. Dallas very close to one, and I think Super B VanRenselaar may have got one as well. I thought the highlights of the weekend was both McCauley's making the main on saturday and seeing Ron Melton having fun at a National.

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Mon May 27, 2013 9:33 pm

Sweet jumping johosifat! Ron Melton was having fun!?? Was he smiling??!!
Next thing you know cats & dogs will be marrying each other......

See you next week hopefully at Legacy.

b.

joeynsophia
Intense

Postby joeynsophia » Mon May 27, 2013 9:43 pm

Sundance MTB race results:

Super D update addition to Tony...Joey took 2nd in 13-18 year old class.

DH Results
Mitch Ropalato- 1st in Pro. Course record! I am sure there will be a picture floating around that I am not proud of. (I lost a bet with Mitch)

13 and under- Logan Mcphie 1 place, Shawn Yakovich 2nd.

13-18
Joey Foresta 1st (Got bumped up to the older guys)
Brandon Olson didnt podium but was real fast all weekend. Watch out for this kid, he is on the verge of making a statement!

Mike Kelley 1st place

Lots of fun had by all!!!!!

Sorry if I missed any BMX'ers.

Return to “UtahBMX Hot Tub”